See Carol Firenze's Global Snapshot article about The World's Largest Frittata.
What you Need:
5 medium size green zucchini (slice zucchini lengthwise into quarters and then coarsely dice)
1 chopped (white) onion
1 clove garlic
5 large eggs (ratio: 1 egg per zucchini)
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
salt, pepper, Italian seasonings (to taste)
How to Prepare:
- Sauté onion in olive oil; when onions become clear, add garlic and continue to sauté for a minute.
- Add zucchini and sauté until zucchini are soft (cover for fast cooking).
- Remove from heat.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs.
- When zucchini mixture is cool, add to eggs.
- Then add the grated Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and mix.
- In oiled frying pan, place zucchini mixture and cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes firm.
- When the mixture reaches this stage, your frittata is half finished.
- Place a dinner plate over the pan and carefully invert the frittata, letting it slide back into the pan to cook the other side.
- When the frittata is golden brown and egg mixture congealed, slide onto a plate and serve warm (or cold).
Note: if you do not wish to try to invert the frittata, you can put it under the broiler in the oven, until it is firm and golden in color; or if you travel to Italy, you may find a “Gira Frittata ” - “turn the frittata” pan for easy flipping or you can buy a similar pan at a gourmet cooking store.